Dear Friends Pursuing Christ,
During Lent we have been exploring ways to deepen our prayer life. On Wednesdays and then on Friday nights we have been participating in a 4 week study on prayer by Mark Batterson called the Circle Maker. Along with this study we have been reading a daily devotional by Batterson called Draw the Circle.
Here are some insights that I have gained from my reading and study on prayer with Mark Batterson:
- We have not because we ask not…The greatest tragedy in life is the prayers that go unanswered because they go unasked. Now here is the good news: If you pray all bets are off.
- You can live with holy anticipation because you never know how or when or where God is going to answer, but I promise you this He will answer. And His answers are not limited by your requests. We pray out of our ignorance, but God answers out of His omniscience.
- We pray out of our impotence, but God answers out of His omnipotence. God has the ability to answer the prayers we should have asked but lacked the knowledge or the ability to even ask.
- Sometimes the power of prayer is the power to carry on. It doesn’t always change your circumstances, but it gives you the strength to walk through them. When you pray through, the burden is taken off your shoulders and put on the shoulders of Him who carried the cross to Calvary.
- It is absolutely imperative at the outset that you come to terms with this simple yet life changing truth: God is for you. If you don’t believe that then you will pray small timid prayers; if you do believe it, then you will be praying big audacious prayers.
There is so much more. Right now we are praying big audacious prayers. Some of the prayers deal with church life, others deal with personal matters(marriages, family, work/vocation, health). We are circling our promises, problems and people in prayer.
On Palm Sunday the children will lead us into worship with a processional of praise and palm fronds. At the end of worship those who are able will circle our property in prayer asking the Lord to give us direction and guidance on how best to use our property for the Lord. Within the next month the manse/youth house will be demolished. What does God want us to do with His land?
Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain.Psalms 127: 1
Following the Maundy Thursday Service members are being asked to participate in a prayer vigil from Thursday 8 p.m.- Friday 3 p.m.. This Vigil can be done from your home.
Velma and Amanda are working out the details. An update will be sent out through the bulletin, email, and on Facebook.
In our Caring, Bearing, Sharing Groups (CBS) we have been encouraged in our faith as we see how God has been answering our prayers. I can’t wait to see what God has in store for us as a congregation. All I know is that when you travel with God it is a wonderful adventure.
May you continue to grow closer to our Lord Jesus Christ during this season of Lent.
Love and prayers in Jesus,